Sunday, March 14, 2010

Learning to Read

My 5yo developed a fascination with Harry Potter and told me that he wanted to read the book. Since his reading skills are at a minimum right now, I figured this would be a great motivation for him to do his reading lessons (taken from the book, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons).

We made a chart with the numbers 1-100 on it (which is also helping him learn those numbers) and he gets a sticker every time he finishes a lesson. When he finishes all 100 lessons, I will buy him a copy of the first Harry Potter book, which he has to read before he can watch the movie (I figure if he can read the book, he can handle the movie...he still gets easily scared about stuff, so if he knows what will happen beforehand, then he shouldn't get nightmares). So, he is learning how to read! He's already on lesson 28 (well, we started in October then went very sporadically through the first dozen lessons). He's been really good about learning how to read, and I catch him reading other things, too.

So exciting!

To reinforce what he learns in his reading lessons, I also encourage him to read Bob Books (which is a collection of phonics-based books that teaches kids to read a few letters and concepts at a time). My 3yo also likes to read those books (one letter at a time, while bobbing up and down off the couch...a little kinetic learner).

No comments:

Post a Comment