Monday, June 21, 2010

Sing a Song

The other day, I had a cute idea to turn a Nursery Rhyme into an activity, so they could understand what it means better. I chose "Sing a Song of Sixpence" because of the numbers in it (I have to make a point to do math with my kids, so I try to bring it in whenever I can). Boy, did they have fun with this!!

Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye.


Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.


When the pie was opened, the birds began to sing,
Was not this a dainty dish to set before the king?


Before we started making the play-dough birds, I asked how many birds we (4) each would have to make in order to get 24. I counted on six fingers 4 times to get to 24. They didn't really get it at all, but I was happy to have at least introduced the concept of multiplication to them. They also had A LOT of fun with the play dough. Then they wanted to dress up. The king is a pumpkin king. We all loved this morning activity!

Bonus pics because they're just too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment