Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Freedom Test: Democracy

My kids are always saying, "But I don't ever get to do what I want to do."

So last week, we talked about how real freedom requires responsibility and thinking of others. And since then, I've reminded them a lot that sometimes we don't have the freedom to do what we want to but we still have the freedom to choose how we feel/think about it. aka...complain or be happy.

They still don't get it.

So I decided to do a Freedom Test. Over the next few days, our home will mimic 4 types of government. Democracy, Anarchy, Tyranny/Communism (I haven't decided which one yet), and the Kingdom of God approach (Pre-determined commandments and blessings/consequences, but the use of agency).

Today was Democracy day. We voted on lots of things. Majority ruled. Offenses and injuries were brought before a judge.

Main things we learned:


  • The hardest worker is rewarded the most.
  • Majority rules. If the majority chooses a rule/method, we all have to follow through with it even if it's not our preferred choice.
  • We still have to take care of the poor and the weak.
  • The penal system is complicated. When my son came to me with a complaint about his sister, I told him I would meet with him and her in 10 minutes to judge the situation. In the next 10 minutes, he asked what the punishment would be, he asked why I might not punish her, I suggested that he drop the charges and just work it out with her. I tried to explain it in terms an 8yo would understand. I tried to explain representatives, lawsuits, punishments based on precedent. In the end, I didn't have very many chances to have the kids judged...they behaved really well today. I was hoping for some major conflicts that would incur the wrath and punishments of a judge.


I better understand why it takes an educated people to understand Democracy. It's a complicated system.

When I got out of the shower, the kids were reading books or "working" (my 4yo daughter) in workbooks. Instead of starting the school day with me telling them what to do, I decided that I didn't need to suggest a law when it was already being obeyed. So I just sat on the couch and followed their lead. I listened as my 8yo showed me pictures and read me stuff from a book about Egypt. I resisted the temptation to tell them what to do next. When they were done reading, I let them vote on whether they wanted to play or do a learning activity. My 6yo asked if they could do a learning activity on the computer. I told them that they could if they voted for it. Majority ruled. They did math games on the computer until lunch time. And they got along with each other.

After lunch was gymnastics. We had a surprise visit from Grandma and she spent the rest of the day with us. We only voted a few more times, and the kids spent the rest of the day playing with their cousins. But I did have them establish their own rules for Wii play. Which turned out to be very nice. I didn't hear the usual bickering that I hear when they play on the Wii.

My biggest Ah-ha. On the way to gymnastics, my 4yo and 6yo did not tease each other at all. They were talking nicely with each other. I think it's because I didn't stress them out this morning with always telling them what to do all the time and giving them the freedom to do good things. I also think it's because they were in charge of what they could do.

Tomorrow...Anarchy. I plan on sleeping in, getting in a full hour work-out, only fixing food for myself (and baby), only washing my own dishes, and catching up on some much-needed reading. As for the kids, we'll see what happens.

And the next day, Communism. I'll have to put everyone to work to fix what happens after a day of Anarchy. Plus, the pay won't be good at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment